by Trevor Harle

(Start at the corner of Rose Street and Victoria Ave.
Drive north on Rose toward Casino Regina.)
In 1870 the Dominion of Canada acquired the vast Canadian prairie, known as Rupert’s, Land from the Hudson Bay Company. The building of the CPR transcontinental railway opened the west for settlers. The Railway reached Pile of Bones (Wascana) Creek on August 23, 1882. Edgar Dewdney, Lieutenant-Governor of the North West Territories, and W.C. Van Horne, general manager of the CPR selected this location to be the new seat of the Territorial government and named it Regina, in honour of Queen Victoria. Thus Regina was born. Both Dewdney and the CPR held extensive land holdings in this area.
In 1872, the federal government’s Dominion Lands Act encouraged European settlers to come to Western Canada. For $10, they were given access to 160 acres of “unoccupied” land. If they cleared and ploughed the land and built buildings on it within three years, they were given clear title to the land, and then could purchase additional land.
Despite what the British government may have pretended, this was not empty, unused land. It had been occupied for thousands of years by Assiniboine, Blackfoot, Ojibwa, Cree, Dakota, Dene and other nations. In 1874 and 1876, the British Crown entered into Treaties 4 and 6—just two of the 11 numbered treaties in Western Canada—covering the prime agricultural land in the Districts of Assiniboia and Saskatchewan respectively, now the south and central part of Saskatchewan. Where we are right now was known as Assiniboia and is covered by Treaty 4, which took effect in 1874. First Nations people believed, and still believe, that the land comes from the Creator and is not anyone’s to own. They believed that the treaties were strategic arrangements through which they would share occupancy and use of their lands with the newcomers. Treaties were a way to get access to tools that would help their people survive - like western education and agriculture - in a time when traditional economies like the buffalo hunt were dying. The settlers, and their government, believed or claimed to believe, that the treaties extinguished all First Nations’ rights and claims to the land, and that control and ownership passed over to the Crown. We are living with the legacy of that dispossession today.

Union Station
Union Station was built in 1911. It is near here that the early settlers coming to Regina would have disembarked. It was used by both the CP and CN railways. Rail service was the accepted way to travel up to the 1960s. Thousands of service men passed through here during WW II. Passenger service is no longer available in Regina and the station now houses Casino Regina opened in 1996, and run as a partnership between the Government of Saskatchewan and the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations.
(Left at Sask. Drive to Hamilton St.)
(South on Hamilton to Victoria)

Hamilton Street
This area was the business centre of Regina.
Comment on: Scarth Street Mall, Midtown Centre Galleria - Site of the Old City Hall now houses various departments of the Federal Government, Canada Trust tower - Site of R. H. Williams “Glasgow House” Dept. Store - later Simpson’s, Leader Post building, Hudson Bay Store.

Leader Building (on east side of Hamilton St. between 11th & 12th Avenues)
In 1882 Nicholas Flood Davin, a lawyer, journalist, and politician came to Regina. He started a local Newspaper calling it the Leader. He gained fame, scoring a national scoop, when, disguised as a priest, he managed to visit Louis Riel in his cell and obtaining an interview conducted in French under the very nose of the English speaking guard. He sold the paper to Walter Scott in 1895. Scott became the first Premier of Saskatchewan. The paper’s name was changed to the Leader Post in 1930 and is still the city’s only daily newspaper. The paper occupied this building from 1913 to 1964.
(Right at Victoria to Lorne St.)

Victoria Avenue
Historical buildings along Victoria Avenue include the SaskPower Building, Federal Building (Heritage Site) and Hotel Saskatchewan. Victoria Park contains a War Memorial Cenotaph. Saskatchewan’s First Land Titles Office (a Heritage Site), constructed in 1907-09, now houses the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame. First Baptist Church, Knox-Metropolitan United Church (formerly Metropolitan Methodist).
(Right on Lorne St. to 11th Ave.)

Regina Cyclone
June 30, 1912 was a beautiful summer day. A storm cloud began to build south of the legislative building in the late afternoon and strong winds swept north from the legislative building, across Wascana lake and north along Lorne and Smith Streets, causing extensive damage to homes and buildings. This storm is known as the Regina Cyclone, and is still the worst hurricane that has occurred in Western Canada. One house along this street was turned 180° and placed back on its foundation. It was repaired but left in its new position. There is the story of a young man who was canoeing in Wascana Lake ending up in Victoria Park, still in his canoe. The storm left 30 people dead, 200 injured and 2500 homeless. (Start driving and point out), The building housing the SGS Library and the Child and Gower Building on 11th Ave. These are buildings that were repaired and still in existence.
(Turn left on 11th Ave and left again on Smith Street)
Comment on the present Regina City Hall and Courthouse.
(Proceed to 13th Ave. West on 13th to Albert St.)

Credit Union Central
The No. 1 Fire Hall is on the left, Credit Union Central is on the right.
Co-operatives have been a traditional way for people in Saskatchewan to meet their needs. Often this has been because our small population (hovering around the one-million mark since it reached its high in the early 1930s) has not made Saskatchewan seem profitable enough for business to provide the kinds of for-profit services that they have in other parts of the country.
Credit Union Central is the umbrella organization for the province’s credit unions. The Great Depression of the 1930s was an agricultural, financial, and social disaster for the province. By 1937, over 100,000 farm families in Saskatchewan were receiving relief aid in one form or another and thousands of people left the province to make a new beginning. As the farm economy worsened with crop failure after crop failure, it became harder and harder to get credit. People paid attention to the credit unions in Quebec. In 1937, the Legislature passed the Credit Union Act, allowing 10 or more people to form a credit union for the purposes of borrowing or saving money. The first credit union chartered under the act was the Regina Hebrew Savings and Credit Union.
(Turn right at Albert St. and proceed north)

Saskatchewan Wheat Pool
Another example of the co-operative movement is the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, now Viterra. Before the Pool was founded in 1924, farmers could only sell their grain to private grain companies, which farmers believed were not paying them a fair price. The wheat pool was member-owned, service charges were kept to a minimum, and any profits were returned to the members. Not so long ago, the Pool had an elevator in over 500 communities. In recent years, the company has been replacing the wooden elevators that most people associate as a feature of the prairie horizon, with huge, high throughput concrete elevators. In 1994 to raise the money, the Pool decided it would go public and sell shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange, ending its days as a true co-operative. Today it is a Public traded company. The part of the building you see was built in 1913 as C.W. Sherwood Department Store. The Pool purchased it in 1926. Note the gargoyles on the top of the Terra Cotta columns that go to under the third floor windows. This is a heritage building.
(Continue north on Albert Street and turn left at 9th Ave.)

Taylor Field
We are driving past Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field, home to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, on our way to the site of the North-West Territorial Government Buildings.
(Turn right on Garnet St. and left at Dewdney Ave. heading west.
The Territorial building is on the north side of Dewdney.)

Territorial Government Buildings
We are on Dewdney Avenue named after Edgar Dewdney. There were three buildings on this site, of which one remains. From this site the Northwest Territory, an area more than half the size of Europe was administered. The buildings were constructed about 1884. The one you see was the main office building and the site of the Trial of Louis Riel.
If you know your Canadian history you will remember that Riel , originally from Winnipeg and teaching in Montana, was persuaded to return to Saskatchewan and lead the Metis people in attempting to resolve the grievances they had with the Federal Government. They went as far a setting up a provisional council. In March of 1885, actual fighting broke out at Duck Lake when the North West Mounted Police stumbled across some Métis lead by Gabriel Dumont, and shooting broke out. About a dozen police were killed and armed rebellion had begun. Ottawa dispatched a military expedition to quell the rebellion using the not-yet-completed Canadian Pacific Railway. Eventually, after several skirmishes, the Canadian military defeated the Metis forces at Batoche in May 1885. Riel was captured. His trial began here in July 1885, he was found guilty of treason and hanged on November 16, 1885. The Metis still feel that they should have rights similar to those of first nations people.
Thirty performances of the drama “Trial of Louis Riel” were first performed in 1967. With this success this drama has continued over the years.
(Continue west on Dewdney Ave. Turn left into the RCMP grounds.)

RCMP Training Depot
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, originally known as the North West Mounted Police were formed in 1874 to patrol the border against whiskey traders, general law enforcement, and to establish friendly relation with the natives. When Regina was made the capital of the territories the force moved their headquarters from Fort Walsh, in the Cypress Hills, to this location. The headquarters were moved to Ottawa but the basic training is still carried out here. All recruits were trained as horsemen in the past. Regina was home of the musical ride until that time when it was moved to Ottawa. The horses were still raised at Fort Walsh. The early buildings surrounded the Parade Square. Officer’s houses on the north and east sides and barracks on the south and west. The new buildings are the Forensic Laboratory and Division F, the local detachment. The oldest existing building in Regina is the RCMP Chapel, originally built in 1883 as a canteen, it was dedicated as a place of worship December 8, 1895. It has survived two fires and several renovations and extensions. The large building on Dewdney Ave. is the RCMP Heritage Centre, which opened in May 2007.
(Turn back on to Dewdney Ave. and head east, the way you came.)

Luther College
We are passing Luther College, a boarding school operating here since 1926 by the Lutheran church. It is known for his high academic standing.
(Continue east on Dewdney Ave. Turn right into the Government House grounds.)

Government House
Government House was opened in 1891. It served as the home of the Lieutenant - Governor of the Territories until 1905 and Saskatchewan until 1945. It hosted many social activities during that time. Between 1946 and 1957 it served as a veterans convalescent home. It was made a heritage property in 1981 and has recently been renovated and a new wing added. It is open to the public daily and tours are available.
(Continue further along Dewdney Ave. past Lewvan Drive.)

Pasqua Hospital
Pasqua Hospital, formerly known as the Grey Nuns Hospital, was opened in 1912, the cancer wing was added in 1945 and housed the first cobalt treatment unit in Canada. The Nuns sold the hospital to the province in 1972 and the name changed. Most of the hospital has been rebuilt and renovations were made to the Allan Blair Cancer Centre. This centre serves southern Saskatchewan and is at the forefront in Cancer Treatment.
(Proceed along Dewdney Ave. toward Albert St.)

Canadian Northern Railway
The two square blocks north of Dewdney and west of Albert Street were the site of the Canadian Northern Railway, later Canadian National Railway, freight sheds. These were removed in the 1960s.

Warehouse District
The area along Dewdney Ave. between Albert and Winnipeg Streets is still known as the Warehouse District, although many of the warehouses have been converted into night clubs and shopping malls. An example is the Strathdee Mall. Note the rail spur lines which still extend from the CPR main line to your right toward the warehouses on your left.

Regina Brewing Co. Ltd (1300 Dewdney Ave.)
This brewery was opened in 1907 and operated until prohibition in 1915. The Saskatchewan Temperance Act was found unenforceable and prohibition openly flaunted. In 1924 a new act was passed allowing the sale of liquor through government run stores. It was ten years later that beer was available in hotel bars, and only to men. This brewery was purchased by Fritz Sick who refurbished the plant and reopened it 1n 1925. It was purchased by Molson’s in 1959 and they expanded the plant. At its peak it produced 700 bottles a day. The plant was closed in 2002. Shirley Douglas, daughter of Tommy Douglas, now our greatest Canadian, was married to a son of the owner of Sicks.
(Jog a block north to 8th Ave. Turn right and continue east to Winnipeg St.)

General Motors Ltd. Regina Plant (corner of 8th Ave. and Winnipeg St.)
To meet the heavy demand for new cars in Saskatchewan General Motors built this plant in 1928. It was 370,000 square feet in area and the site was 38 acres. The plant was completed in six months and the first new all Canadian made Chevrolet boasting a six cylinder engine rolled off the assembly line in December 1928. The plant produced a new car every four minutes, a 150 cars per day. The plant closed in 1930 following the stock market crash and the start of the great depression.
It was reopened in 1931 adding Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Maple Leaf trucks to the line. In 1941 the government took over the plant and renamed it Regina Industries Ltd. where it produced war materials and employed 1000 people. After the war automobile production was not resumed but national defense used part of the property to the mid-1960s. The province took over the property in 1967. It is presently used by several tenants and some parts have been sold.
(Turn left on Winnipeg heading north and turn around at 1106 Winnipeg St.)

Regina Community Clinic / Doctors Strike
Regina Community Clinic celebrated its 40th anniversary this year. The clinic started with a single employee, a doctor who kept medical records in the bathtub of a house in downtown Regina. It now has 50 employees, 6 physicians and thousands of members. Forty years ago, on July 1, 1962 fully publicly funded medical care came into effect in Saskatchewan, and doctors went on strike in an attempt to prevent it. (Saskatchewan had publicly funded hospital care since the 1940s.) Opponents, staged a fear-mongering campaign, saying that the doctors wouldn't be paid and that they would have to work under the eyes of government bureaucrats. As they prepared for a showdown, groups of citizens organized a network of community clinics, backed by labour and co-operative movements and largely staffed by British doctors flown to Canada. After 18 days, a negotiated settlement ended the crisis, but the clinics stayed alive. The medicare system, started here is now universal across Canada.
(Proceed south on Winnipeg St. to 11th Ave. and turn right. Drive west on 11th Ave.)

Ethnic Influence
In the early years, many non-English speaking immigrants lived east of Broad St. Some people referred to this area south of the CPR mainline as “German Town.” Today, families have interspersed throughout the city and there are few ethnic neighborhoods. However, this area is still home to many ethnic clubs, halls, churches and grocery stores. The church on the left (corner of Winnipeg St. & 11th) is Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church. Across the street is the Ukrainian Co-op Store and south of it is the Polish Canadian Cultural Club. On the left is Fellinger’s Meat Market and on the right is Oscar’s. They make great salami and next we go past the Maple Leaf Bakery who have excellent rye bread. Both are German. On the left is an Oriental Food store. Understanding Chinese would aid in reading the labels - note the street signs. On the right is the police headquarters used from 1930 - 78 and still in use by the department. Next is the old No. 1 Fire Hall 1920 - 1988, now office space.
(Turn right on Osler Street and stop)
The small building behind the Fire Hall is the 911 emergency call centre and next the present Police Headquarters.

Regina Riot
Unemployment was extremely high during the depression of the 1930s, and unemployed single men moved from town to town looking for work. Large numbers ended up in B.C., partly because of the milder weather and partly because it was the end of the line of the railway that they often rode on looking for work. To control the perceived threat to public order of having such a large group of men around, the federal government created work camps where the men were forced to live in order to collect relief money. Conditions were harsh, and the men organized. In 1935, they went on strike for better conditions and then, when the federal government refused to negotiate with them, they decided to empty the camps and go to Parliament Hill. They wanted real wages, better food, clothing and shelter, and an end to the military discipline in the relief camps. On June 3rd 1935, about 1000 trekkers climbed into and onto boxcars leaving Vancouver. They were joined by men wherever the train stopped on its way east. Women's groups, service clubs, labour councils, churches, unions and caring citizens met the trekkers at each stop with offers of food and shelter. Prime Minister R.B. Bennett ordered the trek to be stopped in Regina on June 14th. Over 1,800 unemployed men found themselves in Regina. They were housed and fed on the Exhibition Grounds The trekkers sent a delegation to meet with Bennett in Ottawa, but were rejected and returned to Regina. On July 1, 1935, a meeting was called for in Regina's Market Square. This is the area now occupied by the new Police Station. Ironically, most of the trekkers stayed on the Exhibition Grounds to watch a softball game. About 1500 showed up for the meeting of which only about 300 were trekkers. City police and RCMP were nearby, in hiding, and charged the crowd, trying to arrest the 7 leaders and control the crowd. Panic ensued, the crowd ran and violence erupted. Automobiles and trolleys were overturned, barricading the streets, as the riot surged downtown. Rocks and brick were thrown and teargas used to break up the crowd. The police were far outnumbered and about midnight a bloody encounter at 11th Ave. and Scarth St., brought the fighting to an end. Detective Charles Miller, while helping a downed comrade, was fatally shot. Two trekkers were wounded by gun fire and over 100 people including police, were injured. A Royal Commission later called to look into conditions in the relief camps found that it was communists, not the policy or camp conditions, that were to blame for the trek and riot. In 2001, the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour sponsored the installation of 3 plaques at different points related to the trekkers’ stay in the city to commemorating their efforts.
(Proceed to Sask. Dr. and turn left, then left again on to Broad St.and proceed south on Broad to College Ave)
(Turn right at College Ave. and head west along College Ave.)

College Avenue
The Anglican Church in 1915 purchased 15 acres of land on the south east corner of Broad and College. There they built and operated St. Chad’s theological college and later a secondary girls school which operated until 1970.

The building on the south west corner of Broad and College was the Regina Normal School, which opened in 1914 to train school teachers. It also housed the provincial museum. This building and temporary buildings behind it were used by the RCAF during WW II. In 1944 teacher training was shifted to Moose Jaw. The building was recently renovated with the addition of a modern sound stage for use in making films and TV productions. Corner Gas, shown on CTV, is filmed here with the outdoor shots filmed at Rouleau.

Regina College was founded by the Methodist Church in 1911 and became affiliated with the U. of S. in 1925. It taught first year university classes. It is now part of the University of Regina and is used mainly for music, and seniors. The building next was the McKenzie Art Gallery until it moved to the TC Douglas building on Albert St. & 23rd Ave. and the last building is Darke Hall, opening in 1929, it served as the performing arts centre for 40 years. It is still used for music and drama productions. The funding for the building was provided by Francis Darke, a successful architect, who also gave financial support to Regina College, and Knox Metropolitan United Church.

The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway station was located a block west of Albert Street. The rail line came from the west. On the corner of College and Albert a ten story hotel, of typical railway hotel splendour, was planned for construction. The sod turning was held October 30, 1912. Two sub floors of reinforced concrete were built and five floors of steel erected when construction was halted by WW I. The railway went bankrupt in 1919 and the steel structure stood as a skeleton for the next ten years. Much of it was dismantled and used for the construction of the Hotel Saskatchewan. The Royal Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History presently occupies this site. The building is setback to avoid the concrete foundations of the ill-fated hotel. This building, the principal Saskatchewan Golden Jubilee project, is now 50 years old.
(Turn left at Albert St. and head south to entrance to Legislative building)

Albert Street
Wascana Centre is about 2300 acres of park including Wascana Lake and the Legislative Grounds. It stretches from here to the Ring Road to the south east. Located in the park, just north of the bridge, is speakers corner, patterned after speakers corner in Hyde Park London, and provided with gas lamps from there. Here any one can exercise his freedom of speech and orate on any topic he or she desires.

Albert Memorial Bridge was built in 1930, as a make work project for men on relief, and dedicated to those who served in WW I. However no plaque of list of war casualties was put on the bridge. It has been referred to as the longest bridge over the shortest span of water.
(Turn left into the Legislative grounds and right at the first intersection stop in front of the War Memorial)

War Memorial
This memorial completed in 1993 lists all those Saskatchewan WWI servicemen who gave there lives in the war. It finally completes the promises made in 1919 and again in 1930.
(Proceed behind the Legislative Building to the lake and turn left.)

Trafalgar Fountain
This is one of the two red granite fountains that stood in Trafalgar square in London England from 1845 to 1939. It was dedicated here in 1963 to the founding of the North-West Mounted Police.
(Continue along the lake to the north and west )

UEL Cairn
On the lakeward side of the road is a small cairn dedicated to the United Empire Loyalists who came to British North America after the American Revolution, greatly increasing the population of the Maritimes and Upper Canada (Ontario). A century later their descendants were among the first European settlers in the prairie provinces.
(Stop opposite the flower gardens in front of the legislative building.)

Wascana Lake
A dam was constructed on Wascana Creek in 1882 to form a reservoir to provide a water supply for Regina. There are photographs showing many people swimming and boating at the time the Legislative building was under construction. What is missing are trees. Tree planting in this area was started in 1907 and in 1913 11,000 trees were planted. The site plan, developed for the park, allowed for the Lieutenant-Governor to cross the lake by barge to open the Legislature. Needless to say the planner wasn’t familiar with the weather conditions when the legislature opens in February. In the 1930's the lake was deepened, by 2000 workers with shovels and wheel barrows. In the 1940's looking across the lake one would see near the bridge Owen’s Boat house. The Owens family operated a boat house from 1928 to 1952 where they lived on the upper floor. You could rent canoes, row boats, or sail boats and they operated a paddle wheel boat called the Queen Mary which for 10 cents, you along with about 30 others could enjoy a half hour trip around the lake. A little to the right was the Bath House where people could change to their swim suits. Public swimming occurred until after the Wascana Pool was opened in 1947. A little farther east was the Regina Yacht club. It was later moved to Willow Island. People were still boating but there were no Canada Geese. In early 2004 the lake was again deepened and a new island constructed in the "Big Dig". Excavation involved 5 large track hoes, several mining type haulers, bull dozers and graders. Excavation started in January and continued to April. Only a couple of days were lost due to ice fog, which occurs on very cold days.

Legislative Building
Planning of the Legislative Building began in 1907 with construction commencing in 1909 and completion in 1912. There is 200,000 square feet of floor space. It is reported to have the longest straight hallway of any building in the commonwealth. The exterior is Tyndall limestone from Manitoba. It is a much more impressive building with more extensive grounds than any other Legislative Building in Canada. The interior is decorated with marble from many parts of the world and many original artworks can be found in the building. It is open daily for tours.
(Drive past front of building, turn right and follow the lake shore road south east to the Conexus Arts Centre.)

Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts (Now the Conexus Arts Centre)
The Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts was planned to be a Centennial Project. However, with delays in planning, splitting the contract into two parts and higher than expected construction cost, the steel structure stood as a ghost for two years. Construction resumed and the building opened in 1970. It is home to the Regina Symphony orchestra, the longest continuing symphony in Canada. The Shirley Bell Theatre has suburb acoustics and everyone has a good seat for stage performances.

Saskatchewan Science Centre
Across the lake is the Saskatchewan Science Centre and Kramer I-Max Theatre. The science centre is located in the old City of Regina power plant. It has several hands on displays, and is a great place to entertain school aged children.
(Continue onto Wascana Parkway and Turn left at first entrance to University)

University of Regina
University classes were available at Luther College and Regina College from 1925. In 1934 - 1974 Regina College was part of the University of Saskatchewan and in 1974 the University of Regina came into existence. The first three buildings at the new campus were designed by Minoru Yamasaki who also developed the master plan for the campus. Connecting links were to be provided so in cold weather students could go anywhere on campus without going outdoors. In summer the roof of these links also acts as a walkway between buildings. For the most part this concept has been followed in linking the classroom buildings and residences. Yamasaki, went on with his career, and designed the twin towers in New York which were demolished in the 2001-9-11 incident.
(Continue east along Campus Drive North)
The buildings are as follows: Lab building, classroom building behind, Dr. John Archer Library, Luther College, Campion College and the First Nations University.

The First Nations University of Canada
Historically, First Nations' people have viewed education as a lifelong learning process that prepared individuals for their responsibilities and roles in life. While there were no physical buildings, education was based on learning from example, from life experiences and from Elders. It is this continuous learning perspective throughout one's life that First Nations people want to encourage. The Elders, Chiefs and First Nations people envisioned building a post-secondary institution that combined cultural traditions and teachings with education and technology relevant to the modern economy. In 1976, the Saskatchewan Indian Federated College was created through an affiliation agreement with the University of Regina. When SIFC opened its doors, there were less than 10 students at the college. But the College grew dramatically and in 2002 had over 1,300 students registered. This is the only First Nations-controlled post-secondary institution in Canada. The SIFC has operated out of a variety of buildings and trailers. The new building was designed by Douglas Cardinal, the well-known architect of native background. It has been designed based on the circle as the symbol of the interconnectedness of all living things, to represent First Nations and other cultures working and learning in harmony. One of the challenges was raising the 30 million dollars to build and equip the new college building.
The Queen in her recent visit officially opened the building as the First Nations University of Canada.
(Continue along Campus Drive)
Kinesiology Centre, Education Building, Power Plant, Maintenance building.
(Turn left on Research Drive)

Research Park
On the right is ISM and on the left it Two Research Drive. The second building on the left is the Petroleum Technology Research Centre and the next building is called The Terrace.
(Turn around in front of the Terrace building, go back to Campus Drive and turn left then take the first right hand turn)
Dr. William Riddell Centre is named after the principal of Regina College who became the first principal of U. of S. Regina Campus.
(Turn left on Campus Dr. and right on to Wascana Parkway, then left on 25th Ave. and right on Hillsdale St.)

Saskatchewan Archives (3303 Hillsdale St.)
Saskatchewan Archives was established in 1945 to collect and preserve historical documents. The archives office at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon has the original homestead records, but the Regina office has microfilm copies, These are, of course, a great interest to genealogists. School records, ship manifests and past copies of local newspapers are some of the items also found here. Dr. John Archer, who the University Library was named after, and a well-known provincial historian, was provincial archivist for several years. He was also Saskatchewan Legislative Librarian and followed Wm. Riddell as Principal of Regina Campus and became the first President of the University of Regina, when it was established in 1974.
(Continue down Wascana Parkway and Broad St. back to the city center.)